Vacancy Senior Officer for Cultural Affairs / Economic Department (local position)
The Consulate General of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in São Paulo is looking for a Senior Officer for Cultural Affairs / Economic Department.
The Netherlands and Brazil have a long history of cultural cooperation and Brazil is one of the priority countries in the Dutch International Cultural Cooperation Policy. This has led to the establishment of a broad and firm network in particular São Paulo with its many cultural institutions and flourishing creative scene. We continue to build and explore new partnerships. Our cooperation is dynamic and has led to the execution of numerous successful and visible activities between cultural organizations in both countries. Our cultural cooperation includes areas such as design, architecture, literature, performing arts, film, music and other forms of the creative industry. The Consulate General in São Paulo coordinates the cultural cooperation for the whole of Brazil.
We are looking for a dedicated colleague, flexible and a good sparring partner for our partners, colleagues at the Consulate, our Ministry of Culture and Education (OCW), our Cultural Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (BZ) and our broader diplomatic network: our Embassy in Brasilia and Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro).
The candidate we seek is a hands on - out of the box thinking - person and aware of the sometimes political aspects and sensitivities of culture. He or she has good knowledge of the cultural and creative scene, both at public and private level and, where possible, is able to connect these two levels. The new colleague continues the existing excellent relations and identifies new possibilities to enhance the bilateral cooperation and the promotion of the Netherlands creative industry in Brazil.
He or she will also be responsible, through public diplomacy (PD), to continue our communication with public and private entities in Brazil highlighting/visualizing what the Netherlands stands for. These include for example our policies with regard to LGBTI, human rights, economic areas of interest, women rights, sustainability, environment and innovation.
Our new colleague is proactive, able to ‘multi-task’, result-oriented, and works in a transparent way. Since you will be part of a small team (Culture Department and Economic Department), it is crucial that you have the proven ability to work, both independently as well as in a diverse team: the Consulate has an experienced and dedicated group of people with different backgrounds and expertise. Being a team player with an eye for both the internal as well as the external aspects of the position is important.
- Actively follow, analyze and report on cultural developments in São Paulo and Southern Brazil, identify opportunities to strengthen the bilateral cultural cooperation and dialogue and to promote the Dutch creative industry.
- Responsible for the execution of the Multi Annual Culture Plan, in close cooperation with the Embassy in Brasilia, Consulate General Rio de Janeiro and Dutch ministries.
- In close coordination with colleagues assessing, select/advice and managing cultural and public diplomacy projects and initiatives, proper monitoring and evaluation, resulting in a project portfolio that fully supports the policy priorities.
- Reporting on PD developments, relevant to the Dutch priority areas in Brazil, in cooperation with the Netherlands Embassy in Brasilia and Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro and execution of PD activities
- Contributing to policy development within the framework of the guidelines and priorities of the Annual Plan, and coordinate relevant activities with the Deputy Head of Mission and the staff members of the Economic Division. You will seek for strategic opportunities to link the cultural sector to the private sector.
- Networking: pro-actively build and maintain a professional network with Brazilian and Dutch cultural institutions, civil society and organizations in the respective areas of culture, PD and private sector.
- Actively representing the Netherlands government in a broad array of public events, meetings, workshops, briefings etc.
- Relevant University degree (or University for Applied Sciences).
- At least two years of work experience in cultural affairs. Network and knowledge of the cultural field in São Paulo is an advantage.
- Experience in programme/project management and financial/budgetary matters.
- Knowledge of/experience of working with Brazilian (governmental and non-governmental) institutions, Dutch organizations, members of the international community. Knowledge of the Dutch cultural field and (international) cultural policy is an asset.
- Excellent networker and team-player, to be able to establish and maintain contacts in a broad field of stakeholders.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good computer and information technology skills, including social media.
- Excellent spoken and written knowledge of, besides Portuguese, English. Knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- Candidates who are not Brazilian nationals must be in possession of a valid residence and work permit.
The Consulate General in São Paulo is part of the broader Brazil network: the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Brasilia, the Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro and the Netherlands Business Support Offices in Belo Horizonte and Porto Alegre. The Consulate General has 19 staff members) and a consular, an innovation, general affairs and a
cultural/economic and trade section, besides staff members responsible for agricultural cooperation and promotion of Brazilian investments in the Netherlands. As our new locally employed staff member, with a work permit for Brazil, you will be employed on local terms and conditions. The starting salary scale 8 is R$ 12.171.
Diversity / inclusiveness
The Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organizational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
Please send your application (motivation letter, CV and reference letters) no later than 15 June to SAO-BB@minbuza.nl
For more information please contact Deputy Consul General Vasco Rodrigues via